COMMONWEALTH AVENUE CENSUS

An interactive list of people that lived in Stratton Park in days gone by

COMMONWEALTH AVENUE CENSUS

Postby info » Sat May 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Post your COMMONWEALTH AVENUE Census info here by using REPLY

SAMPLE:

Sullivan- John,Mary,Billy,Tommy 1492 Commonwealth 1956-1976
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strattonpark.com
info
Site Admin

Re: COMMONWEALTH AVENUE CENSUS

Postby jmn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:50 pm

John Nonna- I lived at 1493 Commonwealth Avenue from 1951- 1970. I graduated from St. Anthony's School in 1962. My parents, Josephine and Angelo Nonna lived at that address until 1989. My mother was the Parish Administrator at St. Anthony's until 1989. My grandfather, Michael Visconti, was a trustee of the parish with Christopher Flynn . He lived at the same address and died in 1977. He was also a head usher in the church with Tom Tobin.

The census is a great idea.
jmn

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm

John, I remember your mother so well. From what I recall, not much got done without her input and help. Great memories.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Jo Rizzo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:35 pm

John
Please look on the message board. Didn't know if I should have wrote (answered) you here or there.

Your parents were gems. Your mom and I were on several committees together for St. Anthony's 75 anniversary. She helped me alot when I was helping Father Steve Kelly, Nora Brinn and Frank Sarno(?) with CYO back in the early to mid 90's, as well as Italian Night, etc.
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Postby jmn » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words about my parents.
Unfortunately, my mother died of cancer back in 1992, but my father is alive and well at 88. He lives about a mile from us and still travels to Florida in the winter.

John
jmn

Postby Jo Rizzo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:01 am

John,
Sorry to hear about mom. Now that I think about it, I heard about it after it happend. I made a typo I actually helped out with CYO in the mid 80's.

Give my regards to your dad.

Josephine (Jo)
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Postby hbrandi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:42 pm

My name is Helen Brandi Johnson and I lived at 1513 Commonwealth avenue. I am delighted to see John Nonna's post as I remember him so fondly. We were in all the same classes together at St. Anthony's. I also worked in the rectory, starting when I was 11 years old. I was very grateful for that job as it paid my tuition at St. Barnabas HS. Does anyone know where Robert Grogan is now? He was the Reverend Father Grogan back then.
I live in South Kingstown, RI, and have been married for 37 years. I have 3 wonderful sons and two grandchildren. My parents left the Bronx and moved near me, but both have passed away now.
We lived in a wonderful neighborhood in the Bronx and I have good memories of those years at St. Anthony's. I miss walking everywhere!
so glad to see John's name on the message board! Please get in touch!
hbrandi

Postby Karenmancof » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi Helen,

Unfortunately Bob Grogan passed away several years ago. I was in touch with him through the years after he left the priesthood. He dd a lot for us as teenagers at St. Anthony's and he remained a good friend to me.

Karen Manning
Karenmancof

Postby hbrandi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Karen,
thank you for your reply. Bob Grogan was a good man. I wrote a reference for him upon his leaving the priesthood. I hope he found a fulfilling career. I always had this dream that he married, had kids and lived the loving life he wanted.

Helen
hbrandi

Postby hbrandi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 am

Helen Brandi (sister Rosemary)
1513 Commonwealth Avenue
1949-1970
Parents lived there until 1978 when they moved to Rhode Island
hbrandi

Postby pjnbarb » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:46 pm

This is from Paul Jacobs, son of Jake.

The original store was at 1491 Commonwealth Ave until it burned down (up?) in the early 1940s. The store then relocated to the corner of St. Lawrence Ave. I lived there with my brother George and my sister Rita. If anyone would like to send a note it would be appreciated ... pjnbarb@yahoo.com
pjnbarb

Return to Stratton Park Old Time Census