Christmas Cards

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Christmas Cards

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Dear Friends,
Just heard on the radio that 200, 000 trees were used for Christmas cards, last year. Most people, today send text messages & E-cards. I wrote out my Christmas cards tonite. I know most of us are still digesting our Turkey dinners, from Yesterday. But I have been sending cards, since i moved out of my mom's home. My mother Toni, use to send approx 100 cards, for years. in her later years, she was down to 75. most had a note, letting that person know how my mom was thinking of them. My sister Dina., would hang up the cards we rec'd on lines of string w/ tiny clothes pins, around our liv rm.When mom moved to the Bronx, in the 1940's. There were some older women (30 & 40 yr old & wiser) my mom was in her early 20's, with 2 babies & a husband in the war. her mom had just died. So she had no one to guide her but these woman. As they started to pass away. My mom would keep in touch with their daughters. Mom was then the elder, at this point. After mom passed 4 yrs ago. i started sending a few of them Christmas cards. We are keeping the tradition going. but now I'm the younger female. I also remember when I attended P.S. 102 in the 1960-70's. At Christmas time the mailbox outside the school would fill up rather quickly. Does anybody who attended P.S. 102, recall how we brought our Christmas cards to school. That someone from the post office would pick up all the cards. Please let me know, if you recall this. Happy Holidays to all.
Marie-Elena
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Return to Stratton Park