[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Stratton Park Message Board • View topic - Bronx Movie Theatres Frequented in 1960s

Bronx Movie Theatres Frequented in 1960s

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Re: Bronx Movie Theatres Frequented in 1960s

Postby JohnTell » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:57 pm

Les...I'm not sure but I think the name of that bar on The Cirle was the Golden Slipper...I know the Golden Note was next door to The Palace on Unionport...

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:17 pm

John
you are correct.
I recall a group of our guy allegde;y wrecking the place including breaking the mirror over the bar.
To avoid charges they had to pay off the owner and the cops as I recall.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby JohnTell » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:07 am

Les...I never realized you of all people hung out with such a rowdy bunch... :wink:

JohnTell

Postby Les Sherwood » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:10 pm

John
I plead guilty.
However, I realized that I had to work to earn any money and I did not have access to a high-paying job like in construction and being blind w/o glasses therefore no fireman or police jobd I went to night college wh ile working at Chase Bank.
After 8 years at Pace I achieved a level of cutivation( and probably saved my liver) where I extended my pinkey while holing my trusty goblet of Schaeffers.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby benny » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:37 am

I remember going to the RKO Castle Hill and standing in a line that strexhed around the block to see the Three Stooges live. What a blast that was. Also, Eddie, the Whitestone drine-in is the Whitstone Multiplex
benny

Postby JohnTell » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:59 am

Benny...I remember that day !!!

I was physched to see my heroes, The STOOGES, but when I turned the corner onto Castle Hill Ave there must have been a million people with the same idea as me...I was crushed thinking that my dream of seeing my heroes was about to be thwarted...<:~(

I dejectedly made my up to the front of the theatre, near the side entrance... and boom!!!...a limo pulled up and out stepped my heroes, THE STOOGES, a mere ten feet away from me...they were all dressed up in character along with the giant sized actor who played Hercules... it made my day being that close to, who I thought were real super stars ...<:~)

Maybe it wasn't as good as getting inside but it sure was better than nothing!!!

JohnTell

Postby C. McLoughlin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:06 am

I remember going to the Earl Theater on 161st street, by the #4 el, and Yankee Stadium.
Went to see The Beatles "Hard Days Night"... or maybe it was "Help".
C. McLoughlin

Postby Cathie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:45 pm

[color=#4040FF]Hi...

There were many theatres ~ and I know my brother, Joey ~ went to them all.. He was a great movie buff![/color]
Cathie Hoey-Ronda
Cathie

Postby frank giarro » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:11 pm

frank giarro

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Cathie,

Your brother, Joe and I went to see practically every spagetti western known to man, at least all of those by Clint Eastwood, Lee Von Cleef or Eli Wallach. Joey used to have favorite little catch-phrases taken from obscure, or sometimes not so obscure movies that you were supposed to instantly recognize. I can also recall seeing many a Bond flick at the Loew's American.

Eddie Acunzo
Eddie Acunzo

Postby Jim Mc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:45 am

Here are a few movies off the top of my head that I remember:

Loews American - The Great Escape, The Longest Day, The Long Ships (I think it was a Viking movie)

Circle Theatre - Von Ryan's Express

RKO Castle Hill - I can't remember any movies there maybe because the old lady matron with the flashlight was always telling us to shut up, stop throwing candy and sit down and watch the movie.
Jim Mc

Postby Les Sherwood » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:18 pm

I had a little problem with my system and so I could not enter a new post, therefore I would like to revisit the posts on the “Bronx Movies Theatres frequented n the 1960’s” as I thought it was one of the best posts because so many peoples shared their fond memories on it. I think the “golden age of the movies was the 1940’s to the 1970’s but the 80’s and onwards were also great.
As a city kid I think we appreciate the movies more, partly due to fact that Television was not as big. Also being in a crowded movies with many of our contemporizes made it made it so much more enjoyable.
The other day I was watching on TCM-the movie “Invasion of Body Snatchers”, (1956) I know this movie was a bit old for a lot of younger folks, but most of you must have seen in movies or on TV. It was a classic.
I think it was one of early/best of “alien“ films. Actually it was not about aliens because it involved “pods” made on earth, taking over peoples' bodies but we were to lead to believe that there had to have aliens behind the scene.
I don’t remember exactly where I saw it, which is a common trait of some/most older folks.

Where did you see it? Did it scare when you first saw it?
This, I realize I am a bit repetitive and would like to revisit movies that really scared you when you first saw it.
Two movies that really scared me when I was a youngster were. I know I said this before but “The Thing” which I saw at Loew’s Paradise and “The creature from the Black Lagoon” a RKO Castle Hill. Okay I am being repetitive but then again I have an excuse.
Another movie that really scared me or more correctly thrilled me at an older age was “Jaws”. Prior to seeing this movie I would like to swim out beyond the waves (e.g. at the Hampton of the Jersey shore) where it would be tough at times to see the shore. After this movie I stayed close and would swim laterally to beach and was very nervous if I rubbed against something. What a movie! And what great music!
Although this movie was in 1974, “The Godfather was a scary and thrilling movie; especially if one saw it the first row as the theatre was fully filled when we saw it . This was one of our first movies and still laugh at seeing the bloodshed, particularly we when saw the head of horse in the bed.
If you were to asked to say were the 3-5 scariest movies you had seen what would you indicate?
All the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Hello Les,
As per your request for the 3 scariest movies. I saw "The Exorcist" "Jaws" and "Carrie". which starred a very young Sissy Spacek. I think i left claw marks in the theatre ceiling and made my date in 1 ear. when Carrie jumps out at the end of the movie. But i saw "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane" at home. My brother Vince was home on leave. He brought a few buddies with him. None of us knew that my brother Philip was asleep in the bedroom off of the liv room. So when the scary scene came. Phillip opened the folding door & scared the heck out of 4 grown military men. 1 of the guys leaped into my mom's
lap. who was also sitting on the couch, watching the movie. you couldn't have planned a more perfect scariest moment. After seeing "Psycho", it took a long time, before i showered home alone.
I never liked all those "fri the 14th movies. They are gory, but not scary.
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Les Sherwood » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Marie-Ellena
You hit on a really scary one with "The Exoritist". when the girl elevated above the bed and th en her head turned a full 360 I know most of us, including me, were scared a lot.
With our catholic background and how often we were taught how evil the Devil could only increased our dread.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Les Sherwood » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Marie-elena
Please excuse my misspelling of your name and the exorcist. I usually check my e-mails, the NYT websites and Stratton before heading in to read a bit before going to sleep.. With the aging brain some of the wires don't work correctly especially at late night.
Sister Theresa would not forgive me.
les
Les Sherwood

PreviousNext

Return to Stratton Park